Tuesday, July 3, 2018

As a parent, it is our responsibilities to teach our children the things they need to know to survive. To have a transparent moment, i forget that i am their teacher probably more often than i should. I get frustrated that they dont already know what to do or how to do it and so instead of teaching them with an explanation so they know why, i tell them with expectations that they know exactly what to do with or without reason. My kids are 8 and 1 and somehow i have these super high expectations of them. With Jr its a little bit easier because he is older and is able to voice his concern, Rza on the other hand its a whole new path. Yes ive been a parent to a 1 year old before however, being a mother to a girl is completely different than it is to a boy. I didnt feel this kind of pressure in bringing Jr up, his father is here to show him how to be a manchild and brings the masculine energy that he needs. Do i show him how to be a good person, yes, but I dont have to teach him how to handle the pressures of being a black man in ameriKKKa. With Rza on the other hand, I am everything she needs to see, and be in life. I am supposed to show her how to be a strong woman who is still able to be selfless, strong, caring, smart, strong and essentially everything that black women are made of. Ive been so concerned with her and how she acts/reacts to stuff and not having the title of being a spoiled brat, that i forgot that she is only 1. My friend reminded me that she says thank you, is using the big girl potty and asks you if youre "aight." Some times we need those reminders. Then i get moments of gratefulness like tonight. Im currently watching Rza interact with her older baby cousin who was crying, she kept trying to rub his tummy with me asking if hes "aight" and offering her puppy dog to him. To know that shes trying to comfort him and make sure hes ok lets me know im doing something right. I will continue to keep checking myself when it comes to interacting with my kids and teaching them so that they can be the light this world needs. For now, i will just sit here and weep tears of joy as i watch this woman child interact with her cousin and feel all this love between them.

No comments:

Post a Comment